Last Updated on June 5, 2023 by Eve Dawes
A closer look behind the cult sneakers and Golden Goose shoes brand
Why are Golden Goose sneakers so expensive? Golden Goose sneakers and shoes are the popular brand that often look beat up and ready for the trash can so why are they so expensive? Most of the styles don’t even look new and won’t pass most dress codes so why the expensive price tag, high demand and cult status? Although they have bought out some ‘new’ looking box fresh white styles that I’m really into. When I say expensive, we’re talking $400 and upwards for a pair of Golden Goose sneakers. Famous for their pre-loved, scuffed aesthetic and worn-in look, I guess at least you don’t have to worry about getting them dirty, creasing or scuff marks since they already come that way. So why are Golden Goose sneakers so expensive? Lets take a look. As well as at some of their best sellers and Golden Goose sale finds.
This post contains affiliate links.
Why are Golden Goose sneakers so expensive?
Luxury brands always cost most but if you’re considering buying your first pair of Golden Goose shoes, you’re probably wondering if they’re worth it or not and why they’re so expensive. Here’s why this designer item commands such a high price:
- The superior construction.
- Material: Many of the styles are made from high quality Italian leather.
- Hand finished by skilled artisans.
- A hidden wedge heel that my short legs are grateful for.
- Premium cotton laces.
- Hand creation means each pair is unique.
- Small marks are applied to each pair to give them an authentic ‘touched by life’ feel.
- The pre-loved look means they’re immediately ready to wear.
- Highest quality loopback cotton lining which makes them warm in winter and cool in the summer.
- Made by hand in Italy, where factory workers receive a fair wage.
- The sneakers use multiple pieces of leather and patterns which adds makes production more complex and time consuming.
- Handmade shoes take longer to make. Since they’re only able to produce a small number of shoes a day it pushes the price up as they pay fair wages.
- New designs every year means more expensive production costs as they can’t automate or bulk buy.
- Limited supply and their uniqueness means many end up as collectibles.
- Comfort. It takes time to distress and opened up the sneakers so that they come already broken in.
How much do Golden Goose sneakers cost
The price for these luxurious sneakers varies a lot by the collection and for limited edition releases.
Women’s Golden Goose sneakers start at around $350 for an entry level pair of Yatay Model sustainable sneakers unless you find some Golden Goose sale finds for less. In the middle of the price range, the Golden Goose mid star sneakers for women range from $550-900. They go all the way up to a shocking $2,275 (not a typo) for the Women’s Super-Star LAB sneakers. Some of their other styles with Swarovski crystals are in the $1000+ bracket too.
Men’s Golden Goose sneakers cost around the same as the womens: $350 for the Yatay Model 1B sustainable sneakers to $2,275 for the limited edition Men’s Super-Star LAB with white star and swarovski glitter sneakers.
One of the main reasons I haven’t bought from this brand yet is the high price of Golden Goose shoes. As well as the fact I already have so many sneakers and they’re something I rarely wear.
Golden Goose sneakers | About the Golden Goose brand
Golden Goose sneakers are designed by Italian designers Francesca Rinaldo and Alessandro Gallo with the mantra ‘perfect imperfection’. These Italian shoes are known for their unique design, high-quality materials, quality craftsmanship and superior production process. The worn in look represents the fact that they like things that are lived in, that look distressed and like they’ve been touched with life. The line of Golden Goose products keeps expanding and isn’t just limited to shoes. It also includes accessories, clothing and essences.
This is who we are and what we represent: a patchwork of stories, memories, and experiences that bring us together.Golden Goose
Why are Golden Goose sneakers so popular
I’m personally a fan of super clean and bright white sneakers but Golden Goose is for those who want a luxury pair of sneakers and quality but that don’t care about the opinions of others or the premium price. The lived-in look actually works pretty well on wet days when you don’t want to get your box fresh white sneakers dirty. They’re designed to be worn not babied and great for everyday wear to style with jeans, chinos and casual summer dresses.
However, they do have some styles like the Starter sneakers and Women’s bio-based Purestar sneakers for people like me who like their new sneakers to actually look new.
Golden Goose reviews often mention how comfortable they are and that that makes them worth the steep price tag.
How does Golden Goose shoe sizing run
Golden Goose shoes only come on whole sizes. Most reviews say to order your normal size but they do run wide. If in doubt order a couple of sizes from somewhere that offers free returns so you can find the best fit for you.
Due to an approximately 3 to 5 cm difference in heel height, which slightly shrinks the length of the foot overall, as well as the width of the shoe, it is advised to size down to the nearest whole size if you are in-between. Otherwise, they fit true to size.Italist Use code RF-220X-D9218D at checkout.
Where to buy Golden Goose sneakers
It’s pretty easy to get hold of Golden Goose sneakers from lots of stores including department stores like Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom. As well as Shopbop, Italist and Revolve who runs some really good Golden Goose sales.
If you shop from Italist be sure to use code RF-220X-D9218D at checkout to be entered to wine $500 in their monthly giveaways. They also have some of the best pricing on Golden Goose clothing and shoes as they ship directly from Italy.
Here are some of the most popular of these sneaker designs including the Golden Goose Superstar sneakers and the best prices I could find them at. You can also set alerts to know when there’s a Golden Goose sale on.
When ordering bear in mind that the presentation and storage box is sometimes distressed and can vary by model. Don’t worry, it’s not a defect or damage from shipping and handling.
- Pink Versace shoes review | Everything you need to know about the pretty crystal Versace safety pin heels
- An honest Valentino Garavani loafers review | Love or leave them
- The best women’s Amazon white cowboy boots hands down
- Women’s Birkenstock Gizeh sandals review | Comfortable hit or clunky fail?
- Gucci high heels sandals with crystals review | The most swoonworthy Gucci shoes for women I’m loving right now!